Saturday 20 June 2015

Smashbox Haul

During our June favourites video I mentioned to Alex that I had indulged in a massive haul over on the Smashbox counter in Boots. I thought you might be interested in what I picked up and my thoughts on each product. 

Starting off with the Step-By-Step Contour Stick Trio which I mentioned in the June Favourites Video. I am really enjoying using this product and am having to stop myself from using this everyday because it is THAT easy to use that you could if you wanted to. This product comes with an instruction sheet showing all the different face shapes and how to achieve the perfect contour for you. I would recommend blending this product in with a sponge (Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge) rather than your fingers. Your fingers may be too warm and work the product in to your skin more than you would want to leave the desired contour effect. The only negative to this product is that the sticks currently only come in one shade trio and the highlighter is too similar to my normal skin shade so it would be great if in the future these sticks could come in a range of shades to be purchased separately.



The next thing I picked up was the Halo Highlighting Wand in the colour Gold. I wasn’t really looking for a highlighter but the Smashbox assistant Jade really sold this to me as a must have (and I am an easy touch) The colour is REALLY pretty and it is a long lasting product, however the applicator is reminiscent of a foundation brush and when I use this to apply the highlighter onto my face it makes me feel like I am scraping off the foundation below. What I am doing to stop this is first applying the product onto my finger and then blending into the cheek bone. On the whole I don’t think I would be in a rush to repurchase this product over other highlighters on the market. If anyone has an amazing highlighter they can recommend for me to try next please do so!


I was on the hunt for a new liquid liner, I wanted one with a felt type nib and Jade recommended the Photo Angle Pure Pigment Gel Liner. I have been disappointed with this product and at a cost of £18 it isn’t cheap. The nib at the top of the pen is really hard and when I try to apply it to my lid it feels like it drags across and pulls my eye lid which is anything but ideal, trying to form a precision cat eye look with this pen isn’t an easy task. It comes out in clumps and gets stuck in my eyelashes, I have found myself using this as a rough line and then blending with a dark shadow to correct and smooth. I was given the wrong colour as I asked for Black and was given Smoke. Will not repurchase. Someone PLEASE tell me where I can pick up an amazing liquid eyeliner it is going to be a mission for me to find the right one.


The mascara that I have been using hasn’t left me loving lashes and I was about to leave Smashbox and haul my arse over to Benefit to grab a Roller Lash (which Alex talks about in our June favourites video and is loving right now) but I was stopped in my tracks by the Full Exposure Mascara and the Layer Lash Primer. I liked the idea that you could use the primer to boost your mascara for evening but leave it off for a daytime look. I’ve been having really bad itchy eyes with my current hay fever situation so I haven’t used it too much just yet but what I have seen I have been liking.


As I had purchased all of the above Jade treated me to two sample primers. The Photo finish foundation primer (which I am yet to try as I have just purchased the PIXI Flawless Beauty Primer) and the Photo Finish Lid Primer. I have used the lid primer however I also have recently been given a sample of the Urban Decay eyeshadow primer in the shade Sin and I have found myself reaching for that one more often.


So that was it for my Smash Box haul, I hope this post has helped you out if you was thinking about investing in any of the products. I would love to hear if you have any different opinions on the products or if there is a product you think I must try. 

Peace Out 
Gemma x 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Across This Page. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig